Castlemilk House Fireplace
This fireplace once dominated the main hall of Castlemilk House and is one of the few treasures saved when the house was demolished in 1969.
The fireplace is an outstanding piece of 19th Century workmanship, of great historical significance. It depicts the siege of Orleans in 1429 where Sir William Stewart (Stuart) of Castlemilk and his brother, Sir John, both died in the service of the Dauphin who later became King Charles VII of France. Joan of Arc’s victory at Orleans was her first battle within three months of her initial meeting with the Dauphin and is regarded as one of the decisive battles of world history. Carvings of the Lennox Coat-of-Arms are incorporated on the fireplace to mark the connection with Mary, Queen of Scots when she married her second husband, Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.
In 1996, with great assistance from Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Building Preservation Trust was also able to remove the fireplace from the water damaged warehouse of the former Strathclyde Regional Council where it had languished in pieces after being submerged under 60 centimetres of water when an adjoining river burst its banks. Fortunately, it is made of oak and therefore still in remarkably good condition. From 2001 until 2007 it was cared for in the local CEDA (Centre for Environmental Data Archival) Offices until the Castlemilk Stables restoration was complete.
Rumour has it........the missing swords from the fireplace could be used to open a secret passage in Castlemilk House!!